A Labour Job in the mines is your ticket to big money if you do not have a university degree or a trade.
Every site hires labourers and usually quite a few. The best thing with labouring is most of the time you get to work with different work crews doing different tasks which will give you a broader knowledge.
Of course its not all fun and games being a labourer, you will get the jobs that no one wants to do. But if you can accept that you are well on your way to a successful career in the mining industry, and its up to you to decide how long you want to do it for…….
Pay you can expect as a labourer:
You can expect around $28-35\hour before all your penalties. Normally penalties are between $3-5\hour and then you also get all your overtime pay.
Things you can expect to do as a labourer:
– Unload Trucks
– Mixing Grout and Grouting
– Cleaning cars
– Picking Up rubbish- General Tidy Ups
– Concrete Patching
– Helping out the Concretors
– Helping out the Steel Fixers
– Helping out the form workers\ carpenters
– clean toilets (not normally but sometimes it happens)
– escort trucks
– drive off site and pick stuff up
There are some key things that a lot of labourers do not understand about the industry. (Not all jobs can you go through the ranks without actually getting a trade e.g Electrician)
1. Most tradespeople started off as labourers (form workers, builders in general).
2. You get to work with a lot of different trades and you can get a lot of beneficial experience.
3. A lot of the supervisors and people at the top in the big companies started at the bottom also.
The best thing about labouring is you do not really need any experience. Any one can walk in off the street and do a labourers job, sure some people will pick it up quicker. But if you work hard and do everything you are asked you can not go wrong. You also have to remember that this is a FIFO mining job, meaning that you will get free accommodation and free food for the time you spend on site.